Search engine optimisation (SEO) is a dynamic and ever-changing field that requires digital marketers to stay on top of the latest algorithm updates and best practices. In 2023, SEO will be more important than ever as the online competition grows and the user behaviour evolves. Here are some of the key SEO trends that digital marketers should pay attention to in 2023.
- Core Web Vitals: Google’s core web vitals are a set of metrics that measure the user experience of a web page, such as loading speed, interactivity, and visual stability. Google has announced that core web vitals will become a ranking factor in 2023, meaning that websites that offer a better user experience will have an edge over those that don’t. To optimise for core web vitals, digital marketers should focus on improving the technical aspects of their websites, such as reducing page size, using responsive design, and implementing lazy loading.
- Semantic Search: Semantic search is the ability of search engines to understand the intent and context of a query, rather than just matching keywords. Semantic search allows search engines to provide more relevant and personalised results for users, as well as to answer complex questions and queries. To optimise for semantic search, digital marketers should create high-quality content that answers the user’s intent, use natural language and conversational tone, and leverage structured data and schema markup.
- Voice Search: Voice search is the use of voice commands to perform a search on a device, such as a smartphone or a smart speaker. Voice search is becoming more popular as the technology improves and the user adoption increases. According to Statista, the global voice search market is expected to reach $26.8 billion by 2025. To optimise for voice search, digital marketers should optimise their websites for mobile devices, use long-tail keywords and phrases, and create FAQ pages and snippets.
- Video Content: Video content is one of the most engaging and effective forms of content marketing, as it can capture the user’s attention, convey emotions, and deliver information in a concise and entertaining way. Video content can also boost SEO performance, as it can increase dwell time, generate backlinks, and drive social shares. To optimise for video content, digital marketers should create high-quality videos that are relevant to their target audience, use catchy titles and thumbnails, and optimise their video descriptions and tags. Learn more about creating engaging short videos here.
- Artificial Intelligence: Artificial intelligence (AI) is the use of machines and software to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as learning, reasoning, and decision making. AI can help digital marketers improve their SEO strategies by providing insights, recommendations, and automation. For example, AI can help digital marketers analyse data, identify trends and patterns, generate content, optimise keywords and bids, and personalise user experiences.
These are some of the SEO trends that digital marketers should watch out for in 2023. By keeping up with the algorithm updates and adapting to the changing user behaviour and preferences, digital marketers can achieve better results and stay ahead of the competition.